The visitable space of the Palace includes two floors: the Ground Floor where many of the private rooms are located and the Noble Floor where the gala receptions were held.
At the beginning of the reign of Dom Luis, a new layout and decoration of the rooms of the Palace, given to the architect Joaquim Possidónio Narciso da Silva, followed the recent standards of comfort, privacy and hygiene, characteristic of the bourgeois mentality of the 19th century. The spaces were now more intimate and sheltered. The ground floor begins with a sequence of four rooms where, due to their official and private functions, a certain apparatus was maintained, contributing to this effect the tapestries and allegorical paintings of the ceilings, remnants of the decoration at the beginning of the XIX century. From the Music Room and along the west façade, the ground floor was for the personal quarters. New facilities have been introduced: a living room - the Blue Room, the Dining Room for the family's daily meals, and recreation areas such as the Marble Room and the Billiards Room; Finally, bathrooms with running water, hot and cold.
The noble floor of the palace was dedicated to gala receptions. On this floor are the Diplomatic Corps Room, the Throne Room, the D. João VI Room - where the dances were held - the Grand Dinners Room - where banquets were held - among other official reception rooms. Of private character are the Painting Studio, the Library and the King's Bed Room, created in the last year of the life of D. Luís, in 1888, by medical